Real happiness requires less than you think.
. . .
We’re so glad you’re here. This website and the Becoming UnBusy™ Movement is about families coming together to inspire one another to reclaim life. In this community, no one and everyone is an expert. We look forward to sharing our story with you, and in return, we hope to hear your insights, goals, and ambitions. It is through this type of open exchange that we can help one another move toward Becoming UnBusy.
The journey to Becoming UnBusy is not a straight line or a step-by-step process. Every family’s version of an UnBusy Life is unique, yet we’ve found there is an underlying blueprint within the stories we’ve heard. Families tend to move through three common transitional-strands as they progress toward Becoming UnBusy. Each of these strands is interdependent and unique.
Our goal is to help you begin…
1. Changing your relationship with LIFE.
Society tells us what a successful and happy life should look like; it is time to step back and look at the bigger picture. Deciding what’s truly right for your family and coming up with an executable game plan requires insight and determination. Join us here on Becoming UnBusy and be inspired by other families setting their own rules. (Be sure to join the Private Facebook Group too!)
2. Changing your relationship with STUFF.
You will find a variety of family-friendly articles here on Becoming UnBusy to help you move toward Modern Minimalism. Modern Minimalism is creating a world in which you’re surrounded by only stuff you love. It is about building a life focused on experiences over things. The goal is simply to escape “stuff” owning you so you can dictate the direction of your life.
If you’d like to live more purposefully, to own less and live more. Yet, even when you tackle one project or room, there’s always so much more to do. If it feels like fighting a never-ending battle in your own home. If you’re ready to…
- Live a lighter, burden-free life with more money for experiences and family time
- Enjoy more time and space to focus on your mental & physical health
- Permanently change your attitude toward buying and keeping possessions
… then the online affiliate course Uncluttered is the first step toward an UnBusy Life for you.
3. Changing your relationship with MONEY.
To live a happy, stress-free life your family’s finances need to be under control. In this community, you’ll learn about debt reduction and smart spending from real families. There are multiple ways to financial freedom. You’ll find a variety of Mindful Money resources on Becoming UnBusy. We’re also here to help and share our personal experiences with overcoming debt.
I’d recommend two different books depending on where you are in your journey toward an UnBusy Life.
The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness
The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey is a great starting point if you have debt. The Amazon book description reads…
By now, you’ve heard all the nutty get-rich-quick schemes, the fiscal diet fads that leave you with a lot of kooky ideas but not a penny in your pocket. If you’re tired of the lies and sick of the false promises, take a look at this—it’s the simplest, most straightforward game plan for completely making over your money habits. And it’s based on results, not pie-in-the-sky fantasies.
With The Total Money Makeover: Classic Edition, you’ll be able to:
- Design a sure-fire plan for paying off all debt—meaning cars, houses, everything
- Recognize the 10 most dangerous money myths (these will kill you)
- Secure a big, fat nest egg for emergencies and retirement!
I Will Teach You To Be Rich
I Will Teach You To Be Rich is a New York Times bestselling book on getting the most out of your money — no guilt, no excuses, no BS. Just a 6 week program that works. In the book you’ll discover:
- Word for word scripts to negotiate everything: even a higher salary!
- The difference between being frugal and cheap — and why it matters
- The Ladder of Personal Finance – How to allocate your money so you can save without worry, spend without guilt, and invest with confidence
Your First Steps Toward Becoming UnBusy Are Simple
Each family is unique and grows along these three transitional strands at different rates, often moving forward on several fronts at once. Thinking in terms of these categories — these developmental strands — will help you focus energy on what your family needs most TODAY.
Are your shoulders starting to feel a bit tense? Getting started with Becoming UnBusy can feel overwhelming, even unobtainable. Trust me; you’ve got this. Take a moment to read our family’s story below. If we can accomplish these seemingly crazy things … you can too.
Becoming UnBusy is simply a matter of taking small intentional steps in your everyday life. It is about being present and mindful in your choices. I strongly encourage you to connect with us in multiple ways, so you can continue to be inspired on a day-to-day basis.[unordered_list style=”arrow”]
- STEP 1: Join our email list and tell us about yourself
- STEP 2: Follow our Facebook page
- STEP 3: Join our Private Facebook Group
Here are a couple of Facebook resources we love and recommend:
Our Family Story
Let me start by saying, I cannot wait to chat with you. I’m going to share a little bit about my family and me; then I hope you’ll reach out and tell me about your family.
I need to give credit where credit is due. Shhhhh. Don’t tell him I said this, but my husband Shad, he’s been “right” all along. The truth is, I can be a strong-willed woman. We’ve gone back-and-forth on many of the concepts below for years. Over time, he’s patiently inspired me toward financial freedom, modern minimalism, and an UnBusy Life™ through love and humor. (Read Shad’s version of “our story” here.)
Sometimes I pause and look at what we’ve accomplished together, and it floors me.
- Our family paid off $82,000 in debt over a four-year period
- I started a successful part-time business online (AKA: Let’s Lasso The Moon)
- I quit my job to expand my ever-growing freelance income–and am making more money now, plus my average work schedule is 9am-3pm and fluid
- We began investing in rental properties as a form of semi-passive income
- Our family made a commitment to choose experiences over things
- We reduced clutter in our life through Modern Minimalism
- We made travel a priority – especially to National Parks
- We purchased a tiny cabin near Apostle Islands National Lakeshore (that is also a rental property!)
When it comes to creating an intentional life, there are so many ways to get it right. You know your family’s needs better than anyone in the world. We hope you use that knowledge coupled with the info provided here to find the best route to Becoming UnBusy.