Real happiness requires less than you think.
. . .
This website and the Becoming UnBusy™ Movement is about families coming together to inspire one another to reclaim life. In this community, no one and everyone is an expert. We look forward to sharing our story with you, and in return, we hope to hear your insights, goals, and ambitions. It is through this type of open exchange that we can help one another move toward Becoming UnBusy.
The journey to Becoming UnBusy is not a straight line or a step-by-step process. Every family’s version of an UnBusy Life is unique, yet we’ve found there is an underlying blueprint within the stories we’ve heard. Families tend to move through three common transitional-strands as they progress toward Becoming UnBusy. Each of these strands is interdependent and unique.
Our goal is to help you begin…
1. Changing your relationship with LIFE.
Society tells us what a successful and happy life should look like; it is time to step back and look at the bigger picture. Deciding what’s truly right for your family and coming up with an executable game plan requires insight and determination. Join us here on Becoming UnBusy and be inspired by other families setting their own rules. (Be sure to join the Private Facebook Group too!)
2. Changing your relationship with STUFF.
You will find a variety of family-friendly articles here on Becoming UnBusy to help you move toward Modern Minimalism. (Don’t worry, no one is going to ask you to donate half of your processions. Well, my husband might encourage it.)
Modern Minimalism is creating a world in which you’re surrounded by only stuff you love. It is about building a life focused on experiences over things. The goal is simply to escape “stuff” owning you so you can dictate the direction of your life.
3. Changing your relationship with MONEY.
To live a happy, stress-free life your family’s finances need to be under control. In this community, you’ll learn about debt reduction and smart spending from real families. There are multiple ways to financial freedom. You’ll find a variety of Mindful Money resources on Becoming UnBusy. We’re also here to help and share our personal experiences with overcoming debt.
Each family is unique and grows along these three transitional strands at different rates, often moving forward on several fronts at once. Thinking in terms of these categories — these developmental strands — will help you focus energy on what your family needs most TODAY.
Your First Steps Toward Becoming UnBusy Are Simple
Are your shoulders starting to feel a bit tense? Getting started with Becoming UnBusy can feel overwhelming, even unobtainable. Trust me; you’ve got this. Take a moment to read our family’s story below. If we can accomplish these seemingly crazy things … you can too.
Becoming UnBusy is simply a matter of taking small intentional steps in your everyday life. It is about being present and mindful in your choices. I strongly encourage you to connect with us in multiple ways, so you can continue to be inspired on a day-to-day basis.
- STEP 1: Join our email list and tell us about yourself
- STEP 2: Follow our Facebook page
- STEP 3: Join our Private Facebook Group
Here are a couple of Facebook resources we love and recommend:
- Becoming UnBusy (Just checking — You’ve liked the page, right?)
- Life Simplified
- Modern Minimalism
- Family Travel
Our Family Story
Let me start by saying, I cannot wait to chat with you. I’m going to share a little bit about my family and me; then I hope you’ll reach out and tell me about your family.
I need to give credit where credit is due. Shhhhh. Don’t tell him I said this, but my husband Shad, he’s been “right” all along. The truth is, I can be a strong-willed woman. We’ve gone back-and-forth on many of the concepts below for years. Over time, he’s patiently inspired me toward financial freedom, modern minimalism, and an UnBusy Life™ through love and humor. (Read Shad’s version of “our story” here.)
Sometimes I pause and look at what we’ve accomplished together, and it floors me.
- Our family paid off $82,000 in debt over a four-year period
- I started a successful part-time business online (AKA: Let’s Lasso The Moon)
- I quit my job to expand my ever-growing freelance income–and am making more money now, plus my average work schedule is 9am-3pm and fluid
- We began investing in rental properties as a form of semi-passive income
- Our family made a commitment to choose experiences over things
- We reduced clutter in our life through Modern Minimalism
- We made travel a priority – especially to National Parks
- We purchased a tiny cabin near Apostle Islands National Lakeshore (that is also a rental property!)